Navigating Taxation and Withholding Requirements for Non-Resident Aliens

Article Highlights:

  • Nonresident Alien

  • Substantial Presence Test

  • Days of Physical Presence

  •  Visa Requirements

  • Working Outside The U.S

  • Working Within The U.S

  • Effectively Connected Income (ECI)

  • Fixed, Determinable, Annual, Or Periodical (FDAP) Income

  • Tax Treaty Exemption from Social Security and Medicare

  • Form 8233

  • Form W-4

As the world becomes increasingly globalized, businesses are expanding their operations across borders, employing individuals from various nationalities. One group that often presents unique tax considerations is nonresident aliens. Understanding the taxation and withholding requirements for these individuals is crucial for both the nonresident alien and a U.S. employer.

Nonresident aliens are individuals who are not a U.S. citizen or U.S. Resident Alien and do not pass the substantial presence test. If these individuals are working within the United States, they are subject to specific tax and withholding requirements. However, if they are performing services for a U.S. business in another country, the rules change.

Substantial Presence Test - The Substantial Presence Test is a criterion used by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to determine whether an individual who is not a U.S. citizen qualifies as a resident for tax purposes. The test considers the number of days the individual has been present in the U.S. over a three-year period. To meet the Substantial Presence Test, you must be physically present in the United States on at least:

  1. 31 days during the current year, and

  2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the two years immediately before that.

The 183 days are counted in a particular way: all the days present in the current year, plus 1/3 of the days present in the first year before the current year, and 1/6 of the days present in the second year before the current year.

However, not all days of physical presence are counted. For example, days commuting to work in the U.S. from a residence in Canada or Mexico, days in the U.S. for less than 24 hours when in transit between two places outside the U.S., days in the U.S. as a crew member of a foreign vessel, and days unable to leave the U.S. because of a medical condition that developed while you are in the U.S. are not counted.

Also, certain individuals are exempt from counting days of presence in the U.S., such as foreign government-related individuals, teachers or trainees under a "J" or "Q" visa who comply with their visa requirements, students under an "F", "J", "M", or "Q" visa who comply with their visa requirements, and professional athletes temporarily in the U.S. to compete in a charitable sports event.

It's important to note that even if the Substantial Presence Test is passed, an individual can still be treated as a nonresident alien if they are present in the U.S. for fewer than 183 days during the year and maintain a closer connection to a foreign country in which they have a tax home.

Working Outside the U.S - Non-resident aliens working outside the U.S. are not subject to U.S. income tax liabilities or withholding requirements. Additionally ,they are also not subject to U.S. information reporting requirements. This means that the U.S. employer does not have to issue a Form 1099 to the non-resident alien employee for the services performed abroad. This is a significant advantage for both the employee and the employer. The employee avoids U.S. income tax liabilities, and the U.S. employer avoids all withholding and reporting requirements and can deduct the amounts paid to the employee.

Working Within the U.S – A nonresident alien working in the U.S. is generally subject to U.S. income tax only on U.S. source income. The type of income and the immigration status of the nonresident alien often determine how the income is taxed. Here are some types of income that are typically considered U.S. taxable income:

  1. Effectively Connected Income (ECI), which is income earned by a nonresident alien from a trade or business in the U.S. It includes wages, salaries, tips, and other compensation for services performed in the U.S. ECI is taxed at the same graduated rates as for U.S. citizens and residents. If a nonresident alien is a partner in a U.S. partnership, the partnership income effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business is taxable.

  2. Fixed, Determinable, Annual, or Periodical (FDAP) Income, which is passive income such as interest, dividends, rents, royalties, and annuities. FDAP income is generally taxed at a flat 30% rate unless a tax treaty specifies a lower rate.

  3. If a nonresident alien is temporarily present in the U.S. in F, J, M, or Q immigration status, parts of scholarship or fellowship grants may be exempt from U.S. tax. However, the portion used for expenses other than tuition and course-related expenses (like room and board) is taxable.

  4. Gambling winnings from sources within the U.S. are generally subject to a flat 30% tax. However, a tax treaty may reduce this rate.

  5. Gains from the sale of real property located in the U.S. are taxable.

When a non-resident alien is working within the U.S., they must file withholding documents with their U.S. employer or withholding agent. The form they file depends on their circumstances. For instance, if a foreign worker claims a tax treaty exemption from Social Security and Medicare, they must complete a Form 8233 and provide it to the employer.

The employer must review, accept, and sign the form, and within five days of acceptance, forward a copy to the IRS. The employer must then wait ten days to see if the IRS has any objections to the withholding.

Non-resident aliens are also subject to special adjustments on their Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Certificate they provide to their U.S. employer. These adjustments consider restrictions on a non-resident alien’s filing status, ability to claim the standard deduction, and restrictions on claiming certain credits and deductions.

Navigating these requirements can be complex, and mistakes can lead to penalties and fines. Therefore, it's crucial to seek professional assistance when dealing with these issues. Please call this office for assistance.

Share this article...

Want tax & accounting tips and insights?

Sign up for our newsletter.

I confirm this is a service inquiry and not an advertising message or solicitation. By clicking “Submit”, I acknowledge and agree to the creation of an account and to the and .
I consent to receive SMS messages